Even if you feel relieved, it is important to continue taking care of yourself. Because abortion is complex, feelings about it are also complex. There are various activities you can do at your own pace to help you with your emotional well-being.
- Journaling – Writing can be very therapeutic. The following questions are helpful to write about to remind oneself of your decision: What were your reasons for having an abortion? How would your life have been different if you had not had an abortion?
- Health & Well-being – Do you like to exercise? What are your favourite healthy activities? Is there a hobby you already enjoy, or something new you wish to try? Go out and do those things.
- Get outside – If you find yourself feeling overwhelmed and sad, take a walk outside and get some fresh air.
- Do something nice for yourself – Light a candle and enjoy a hot bath, re-read a favourite book, re-watch a favourite show or movie or get out for a walk.
- Rest – Take time to listen to what your body needs. Turn off phones and gadgets and have a warm bath or a nap.
- Be Creative – Being creative, in any way, can be helpful to release any emotions. Draw something, paint something, sing and dance, cook a favourite meal, or explore a favourite old activity in new way.